Are you planning a Scottish vacation from the USA or Canada? Then you must come and visit us in the far north of Scotland for a trip of a lifetime!
Visiting Scotland from North America
Whether you’re visiting the home of your ancestors, soaking up the history and culture of our ancient land, or simply looking for a new adventure, a Scottish vacation has so much to offer! It’s easy to reach Scotland’s major airports by flights from the USA and Canada.
To visit us here in Wick, you can take a connecting flight to Wick Airport from Aberdeen. Wick is a town in the Caithness region, in the far north of Scotland. A rugged and breathtakingly beautiful part of the country, on the magnificent northern coastline. Full of outdoor adventure, history and heritage, and an array of popular attractions and hidden gems.
Researching your Scottish ancestry
For those with Scottish roots, a vacation to Scotland is a chance to walk in the footsteps of your ancestors. Visiting your ancestral home can be a life-changing experience. Take in the unspoiled landscapes of the far north of Scotland and see what your ancestors would have seen in years gone by. At Mackays Hotel, we have several resources to help you research your family history. We have a wide collection of books and old maps, and you will also have access to borrow books from our local Wick Library. In addition, we can put you in contact with a local genealogist, for a personalised service.
Things to do in Wick and Caithness
Wick is the main town in Caithness. It’s a former Viking settlement, with a rich history to be explored. Iconic landmarks include the Castle of Old Wick and the Duncansby Stacks, along the dramatic Scottish coastline. It’s close to John O’ Groats village on the northeastern tip of Scotland, a popular tourist destination as one of the most northerly points in the UK. There is so much to see and do in the area. From top golf courses to beautiful beaches. We have put together a visitor guide here, so you can plan your visit. Plus, every year, there is an action-packed calendar of events at the Lithe Arts Centre. From art classes to drama and learning to DJ. Or flower arranging, to circus skills and singing. These Scottish activity sessions are perfect for all ages.
Road Trips and Day Trips
Our hotel is located on the North Coast 500. That’s our version of Route 66 and it’s the most famous road trip in Scotland! The route takes in over 500 miles of the finest scenery on the north coast. Passing through friendly towns and villages, dramatic rugged landscapes and a wide variety of attractions and landmarks. While based here, you can explore many of the highlights of the NC500. Hire a car from Richard’s Garage and the north coast is your oyster! It’s important to note we drive on the left here in Scotland. You’ll also need to check the rules and guidelines for driving in Scotland.
Here, we’ve put together some useful resources to help you plan a trip from the USA to Scotland in the UK.
Travelling to and around Scotland
- US Visitors to the UK – Information from the US Embassy and Consulates in the UK.
- Canada and the UK – Services for Canadians visiting the United Kingdom.
- Travel Planning – Travel requirements, getting around, practical advice and more.
- Flights to Scotland – Advice on flying to Scotland from the USA and Canada.
- Driving in Scotland – Scottish driving laws and regulations, essential driving information.
- Currency converter – Convert Dollars to British Pounds with Xe Currency Converter.
- Scottish symbols and emblems – Everything from Scotland’s national flag to national drink.
Visiting the far north of Scotland
- Mackays Hotel in Wick – Our hotel, self-catering accommodation and restaurant in Wick.
- Where in the world – Scottish Highlands, Scotland, Great Britain and UK explained.
- Things to see and do – Explore our local sights and attractions.
- Family history – Trace your Scottish ancestry in Caithness.
- North Coast 500 – Plan the ultimate Scottish road trip.
- Hire a car – Hire a vehicle from local supplier, Richard’s Garage.
- Weather in the Highlands – Check the latest weather forecast.
- Caithness accent, words and phrases – Learn how to speak like a local.
We hope to welcome you to Mackays Hotel soon, for a Scottish vacation to remember! Please get in touch if you need any help or advice when planning your trip.Book Now